Because of its relative simplicity, Miami gastric band surgery has become one of the most commonly performed weight-loss operations. It’s considered a highly effective approach to weight loss that yields incredible results.
When considering weight loss surgery, it’s essential you understand that your participation and commitment to making major lifestyle changes is crucial to the outcome. You can maintain weight loss for many years after Miami gastric band surgery based on how you adhere to post-surgery guidelines.
Am I a candidate for gastric band surgery?
Many doctors in South Florida perform Miami gastric band surgery due to its reliability to treat morbid obesity. Good candidates for this procedure are patients unable to achieve a healthy weight for some time with a BMI 40 or higher - more than 100 pounds overweight. Patients with a BMI 35 or higher and suffering from obesity-related co-morbidities such as hypertension, sleep apnea, respiratory disorders, type II diabetes, and heart disease, may also be good candidates.
Some patients with BMI 30 to 34 may qualify for Miami gastric banding as long as they are suffering from weight-related severe health problems. Patients will still have to go through an extensive screening process to determine if they qualify. Our team of health professionals will decide whether this procedure is the right one for you.
How gastric banding works?
The gastric banding procedure restricts the amount of food the stomach can hold through placing a band that can be adjusted around the upper part of the stomach. The good news is that there is no need for cutting or stapling in order to separate the lower stomach and upper pouch. The gastric band can be adjusted to meet your needs.
During Miami gastric band surgery, your surgeon will make a few incisions in the abdominal wall. A silicone adjustable band is then secured around the upper portion of the stomach through the use of laparoscopic techniques, which helps create a smaller stomach pouch and allows less food to pass through also slowing down the emptying of the stomach into the intestines. This process makes the patient feel fuller sooner and also less hungry.
Recovery from lap band surgery
Recovery may vary from patient to patient. Most patients return to work and resume regular activities in four to seven days. Thanks to the laparoscopic techniques used during the procedure at Miami Sleeve Center, patients will not experience a lot of post-operative pain, and they will recover quicker. They are also able to resume their routine sooner when compared to other types of gastric surgery.
Your initial consultation and evaluation
During your initial consultation, you will get to know your surgeon and ask any questions you may have regarding gastric bypass surgery. You will also undergo an evaluation, which will include:
- Weight history and diet – Our team will take a look at your diet attempts, exercise regime, stress level, expectations, and so on.
- Your overall health – Some health problems may increase the risks associated with gastric band surgery. You will undergo several tests, and based on the results; the surgeon will determine eligibility.
- Mental health – Some mental health conditions such as substance abuse, major depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, may contribute to obesity. While these disorders are not an impediment for gastric banding, your doctor may postpone surgery to ensure these conditions are properly treated.
- Motivation – Our team of health professionals will determine whether you are willing to follow through with recommendations made by your surgeon.
- Age requirements – While there is no age limit for Miami gastric band surgery, recent research proves this procedure is safe and effective on patients 60 and older. The procedure is safe now on teenagers with a BMI of 35 and suffering from serious obesity-related health problems.
Once you are approved for this procedure, you will be provided with instructions on how to prepare for surgery several months in advance.
Gastric band surgery costs
The average price is $9,700, but prices can vary widely from patient to patient based on the patient’s insurance plan and specific circumstances. At Miami Sleeve Center we have several options available for patients with or without insurance. We can work with you to create a sensible payment plan that works even on a modest budget. Remember weight loss surgery is an investment that will benefit you in so many ways. Why not give it a try?